Rainbow Leaf Bracelet

By Thursday, October 10, 2013 , , ,


Friendship bracelets will always hold a soft spot in my heart because they are the first craft that I got really interested in and because they are the first craft that I got good at making. Seriously, not to brag or anything but in junior high and high school people would buy me string, show me a picture, and ask me to make the bracelet. And I would. So here is my rainbow leaf bracelet I made this summer. I made two versions, this button closure one and one that had braids on both sides to tie a knot for closure. I wore the braided one all summer on my ankle. You can also check this project out on Kollabora here.


How to:
This "leaf" braclet is a more sophisticated version of a chevron braclet. If you can make a chevron, you can do this! It's bascially a reverse chevron (working from inner strands to the outer vs a normal chevron working from the outer strands to the inner strands.)
  • fk=forward knot
  • bk=backward knot
  • ALWAYS, ALWAYS remember to do double knots
Choose five of your favorite colors of embroidery floss. Cut a long length of each and fold in half with a knot.
Arrange the strings: 1 2 3 4 5 5 4 3 2 1 
(for my braclet, orange=1, yellow=2, lime=3, aqua=4, and purple=5)
Step 1: With the left string 4 make a  fk around 5. With the right string 4 make a bk around string 5. Join both string 4s with a fk.
Step 2: With the left string 3 make a fk around 5, then a fk around 4. With the right string 3 make a bk around string 5, then a bk around 4. Join both string 3s with a fk.
Step 3: With the left string 2 make a fk around 5, then a fk around 4, and then a fk around 3. With the right string 2 make a bk around string 5, then a bk around 4, and then a fk around 3. Join both string 2s with a fk.
Step 4: With the left string 1 make a fk around 5, then a fk around 4, then a fk around 3, and then a fk around 2. With the right string 1 make a bk around string 5, then a bk around 4, then a fk around 3, and then a fk around string 2. Join both string 1s with a fk.
Step 5: Repeat steps 1-4, reassigning the numbers based on the current position of the string. 
Continue until your bracelet is long enough. End with a button closure or braided strands to tie around your wrist. 
If you get confused just remember that its a chevron bracelet working from the inner strands to the outer strands.

Good Luck :)

0 comments