Panko-Parm Crusted Zucchini Chips

By Tuesday, February 10, 2015 , ,


Since the spring semester has started, I have been eating a relatively low carb diet. I definitely have let some carbs slip in but overall I have been keeping a pretty strict diet. I am a lover of carbs so eliminating pastas and breads has not been an easy feat. One easy way I have been helping get my fix of "pastas" has been by using a Veggetti vegetable spiraler. It easily transforms zucchini into noodles that you can heat and serve just like a grain pasta. Panko crumbs are also a great lower carb alternative to traditional bread crumbs. I had some extra zucchini that I wanted to use before I made "pasta" again as well as a box of Panko crumbs I had purchased on clearance. While exploring one of my Pinterest boards, I found a recipe that called for both as well as other basic ingredient that I already had on hand.

These are crunchy and flavorful little snacks that are a good low carb alternative to a traditional chip. I would like to experiment with these by baking them and also by using different flavors of Panko.

What you'll need:
1-2 zucchinis
1 cup panko crumbs
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1/2 cup flour
2-3 eggs
2 cups vegetable or canola oil

Optional sauce for dipping: ranch or marinara

Directions
1. Heat vegetable oil over medium heat in a pan.
2. Wash your zucchini and cut into thin slices. I cut mine a little less than a quarter inch thick.
3. Prep your mixing station. Pace flour in a bowl. Beat eggs in a separate bowl. Finally mix your Panko and parm together in a third bowl.
4. Coat your zucchini in flour then egg and then Panko-parm mix. You may need to press the Panko-parm to the zucchini to get it to stick.
5. Carefully place in the skillet and fry for about 1 minute or until the outside is a crispy golden brown. I fried mine in batches of about 5 to 8 zucchini slices.
6. Remove from pan and place on paper towels. Lightly salt and pepper if necessary.

Eat these while they are still hot!

Adapted from Damn Delicious 


0 comments