Frozen Pistachio Dessert Cake

By Wednesday, May 04, 2016 , , , ,


Growing up, each of my grandmothers had some signature desserts that my siblings and I always saved a little extra room for. I am lucky to have had two amazing grandmothers who also happened to be wonderful cooks and bakers too! My Grandma Joan is turning 80 this weekend so today I am sharing one of my favorite desserts that she makes.

It's easy to put together which is a nice contrast to a lot of other desserts that I like making (looking at you ice cream and cupcakes.) You can have this prepped, baked, and dishes done in under an hour. I am a huge fan of frozen desserts because not only are they delicious but they are also incredibly refreshing after a meal. This dessert is the perfect way to end a warm summer day and a great dessert to bring to parties.

Ingredients
- 2 tubes of Ritz Crackers
- 2 sticks melted butter/margarine
- 2 packages of instant pistachio pudding mix
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 16 ounces cool whip, divided in half
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1 cup crushed heath bars, or enough to cover top of dessert

Directions

Crust:

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Crush crackers via your method of choice. I used a food processor. 
- Combine cracker crumbs and melted butter. Spread mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 glass pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.

Filling:
- Mix pudding, milk, one half of cool whip, and ice cream together
- Pour over cooled crust
- Freeze for 30 minutes

Topping:
- Remove pan from freezer and top with remaining half of cool whip
- Sprinkle the crushed Heath over the top
- Return to freezer until ready to eat

Remove from freezer 10-20 minutes before serving to make cutting easier.


Source: Family Recipe

0 comments