Self-striping socks

By Tuesday, May 24, 2016 , ,

Ravelry
I tried sock knitting for the first time last year with these socks for Carter. I made another pair in the spring and this fall I did yet another pair. While most of the knitting for a sock is straight-forward, I always feel pretty accomplished when it comes to undertaking the heel of the sock. I knit these up using Paton's Kroy sock yarn in Spring Leaf Stripes. I ended up getting some more of this yarn in black for the heel and toe. I'm glad that I did because I like the contrast of the solid toe and heel to the rest of the striped sock. 

I got the yarn last summer on clearance from Joann's for a few bucks each. I wasn't super happy with the outcome of these socks...hence finishing them in December but not snapping a picture of them until May. It's not a pattern that I plan to revisit. 

The pattern was very simple and repetitive...almost entirely stockinette. I chose it because I wanted the stripes to really stand out but I decided that I prefer a bit more going on in a sock pattern for two reasons. 1) It's a little more fun to knit that way and 2) I think that patterns can add a better fit. I did modify the heel but otherwise I left the pattern the same. I'm just happy that I was able to use up some yarn and knock a pattern off my queue. 

Pattern: Free Self-Striping Knit Socks by Red Heart Design Team
Yarn: Paton's Kroy sock yarn, 2 skeins in Spring Leaf Stripes, 1 skein black 
Needle: US 2 DPNs

0 comments