2016- Finish what you've started

By Monday, January 18, 2016 ,



So I already told you that I failed at my 2015 goals and that I am not a fan of New Year's. For me, New Year's does not mean new start/clean slate any more than the other 364 days of the year. I don't think anyone should limit themselves to starting over and self-improvement to January 1st. While the start of a new calendar year is the easiest way to mark a change in time, I feel that change must come from within and that an internal motivation will be much more effective than a half-hearted attempt to change at the new year.

That being said, in 2016, I am not going to change. I am going to continue what I began in 2015: evolving and working towards a better version of myself. A better daughter, sister, friend, and fiancé as well as someone who is working towards a healthier, and hopefully more organized life. 

In 2016, I am going to continue to simplify- my closet, my craft supplies, etc. Last year I donated two heaping laundry baskets of clothes and I am already accumulating a new donation pile. Living in an apartment away from home for school has helped me learn to appreciate and enjoy living with less. 

Ultimately, I hope to continue to finish what I have started wether that be a book, a project, my leftovers, candles, beauty products, you name it. I'm not sure when exactly, in 2014 maybe but it struck me how much excess was in my life- even the most mundane of objects. Part of this had to do with being at school and having duplicates of things at home (beauty/hygiene stuff mainly.) I wondered what to do and then the obvious struck me- use what I have before I get more.  So that's what I have been doing with just about everything from beauty products to school supplies to craft stuff. I am not perfect, I have bought more of stuff I already had but I have seen dramatic consolidation. I could have tossed things immediately but by slowly working through things I have been able to see my progress, simplify, and save a nice chunk of change. This has also helped me to become a more mindful shopper when I do make purchases. I am simply finishing what I've started.

Do you like resolutions? How are they going?

0 comments